It’s that time of year again, when you start to think about summer, wearing your favourite beach dress or swimsuit or all the fun activities you will be up to! Maybe you are worried that you put on too much weight or that your skin just isn’t clear enough for that beautiful dress or you don’t have the energy you used to have to keep up with your kids on that hike. Spring is a great time of year to cleanse your body and get rid of the buildup of toxins that have accumulated over the winter months and possibly rid yourself of winter weight.
Cleansing is an important activity that every person should do at least once or twice a year. The importance of cleansing cannot be stressed enough and yet we often don’t do this simple task.
Cleansing is such an important health choice because we are exposed every day to chemicals and toxins – from the skin care products we use, to the foods we ingest, to the air we breathe in! Our organs of elimination (the ones which detox all those bad things) are often just trying to keep up as we keep getting exposed to more toxins. With repeated, on-going exposure to toxins are cells are often left trying to dispose of them which means they don’t have time for regular cellular function. When this happens you develop fatigue that isn’t easily managed or you will find yourself struggling with acne that won’t clear not matter what you do.
Implementing the following can go a long way in reducing your toxic load (the burden of toxin in your body) which then allows your body to catch up on cleansing the body of toxins and supporting healthy cellular function.
- Increase your water intake. Water supports your cells ability to function efficiently. Sluggish cells means sluggish detoxification.
- Reduce or eliminate the amount of processed food in your diet. Processed foods are LOADED with toxins. Simply reducing or eliminating these foods will reduce your toxic load significantly. Reducing sugar will dramatically decrease inflammation in your body which also slows down healthy cellular function.
- Increase your intake of fresh produce including antioxidant-rich foods. Think blueberries, goji berries, pecans, cranberries, dark chocolate (!), kidney beans, garlic, tomatoes and more! Antioxidants clean up the toxins so that your cell doesn’t have to – your cell is ‘freed’ up to do it’s normal job. If you can, try to eat organic produce especially when it comes to the “dirty dozen.” By reducing your intake of pesticides you are reducing your intake of toxins. Choosing to increase your fresh produce intake increases the minerals, vitamins, anti-oxidants and fiber available to your body to assist in detoxification and elimination of toxins.
- Drink water with lemon every morning. Lemon supports your body’s natural detoxification process. Kick-start your day with a natural detoxifier!
- Choose face and body products that are natural. Some of the products I would recommend are Eden Pure Skin or Natural Panda. I know the owners of both and they have a real passion for natural skin care products and you can get them shipped directly to your home!
- Supplement with antioxidants! You might think that supplementing with an antioxidant is for older people. IT’S NOT. Free-radicals (some of those toxins we ingest) actually cause your cells to age much more quickly and can contribute to disease development including cancer and cardiovascular disease. When talking about antioxidants think: Vitamin C, E, Selenium, and beta-carotene. I would recommend incorporating a good quality multivitamin that includes antioxidants or even taking extra antioxidants. Some suggestions: Douglas Lab’s Daily Core Essentials, doTERRA’s AlphaCRS+ or Pure Encapsulation’s Alpha Lipoic Acid or Ascorbic Acid.