Have you ever heard of homeopathy? Maybe you have heard of it but you don’t have any idea what it is. Or maybe you wonder if it’s the same thing as naturopathy? Or maybe it brings to mind words like: placebo, sugar pellets, bogus medicine […]
Month: February 2017
I’m pretty certain that you have at some point heard of essential oils. Maybe you don’t know what they are exactly but you’ve definitely heard or read about them somewhere. Why? The essential oil industry is exploding because people are becoming a lot more interested in natural health solutions than turning first to their family doctor for prescription medication.
With the huge number of bloggers writing about them you can easily find free webinars and courses on how to use essential oils for pretty much anything – from health care (pregnancy to nausea, to skin issues, detoxification, ear infections to cancer) to cooking to cleaning!
Being an essential oil lover myself I highly recommend using essential oils for personal use as an effective natural option. Yes, they do have their limitations (as all things have their limitations), but because they are natural, have a history of being highly effective and powerful, I would highly recommend them. I strongly believe that every person should be given the tools they need to live healthy lives in more holistic and natural ways! Not only that, they are easy to use and easy to learn about!
Using essential oils is an empowering experience because not only do you get to learn about the healing things in nature but you also get to see how a choice you made for your health can actually work!
I’d like to give you 6 reasons why you should use essential oils:
- They work. It’s as simple as that. The research consistently shows that essential oils are powerful, natural options for a wide variety of health conditions (research). We all want an EFFECTIVE option when it comes to dealing with our health or managing our health issues. Obviously, like any kind of treatment they have their limitations and there are times when a doctor is needed…but if you are looking for a natural, DIY, effective option give them a try!
- They smell good. This may sound like a silly reason to you, but the fact is that, essential oils actually affect our mood which in turn affect our physical health! Diffuse different essential oils depending on your mood and you will find that your mood can quickly change! To learn more about the science behind this one you can watch this short clip: https://youtu.be/A5VJ8UhP_lg?t=6
- They are cost-effective. Some of the complaints I hear about essential oils is that they are expensive! However, I’d like to point out that a drop of peppermint essential oil is about 10 cents and the cost of a single prescription anti-acid pill can be up to 50 cents. So in fact, they are VERY cost-effective…and given that they also contain more active ingredients than the prescription medication, you are getting a bigger ‘bang for your buck’ (see #6).
- They are natural. Essential oils are from plants and they are extracted in a whole form rather than chemically broken down into different chemical constituents (unlike prescription drugs). Essential oils have been used effectively for centuries. I also believe that natural is best for our bodies if we are able to use them! When we start putting chemically derived and synthesized products in and on our body we have to worry a lot more about toxicity.
- They are POWERFUL! Did you know that lavender essential oil has over 205 active ingredients and advil only has 1? Did you also know that it is the active ingredients in a substance that have the power to change your health? When you are putting something natural in or on your body those other active ingredients have the power to work synergistically with each other giving you a more powerful experience. I also want to point out that one drop of peppermint oil is equivalent to drinking 28 cups of tea. That is some potent and powerful stuff! We all want something that is powerful (that works well) when we deal with health issues.
- They are empowering. I believe that everyone deserves and has the right to understand how they can improve their health. Because you can access essential oils and can get information on how to use them you can actually choose to invest in and affect your own health. Personally, there is nothing more empowering than knowing that you had the ability to impact change for yourself and your loved ones and you did it in a completely natural way!
There are a few important things to consider when purchasing essential oils:
- Not every essential oil is the same quality. As there is no regulating or standardizing body for essential oils they can be ‘cut’ with other ingredients so they are not pure essential oils. This will in turn affect their quality and efficacy. You want to ensure that what you are putting in or on your body is safe and pure. The company I purchase my oils from is doTERRA. They are committed to producing essential oils that are third-party tested for purity and they are also committed to extracting oils in environmentally friendly and sustainable ways (CPTG – certified pure therapeutic grade).
Are you interested in learning more about essential oils? Are you interested in purchasing CPTG essential oils at wholesale prices? To get started with a kit of the basic essential oils which will start you on a natural health journey (or you can begin with the whole collection of oils which gives you the tools to overhaul your health) click here!
disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any diseases or health concerns. This information is for educational purposes only.
Do you really need a diagnosis to get treatment? This question is a very important question, if, like me, you struggle with health problems that no one is able to diagnosis…which in turn means that you are not getting the right treatment or else you […]
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is all the rage as a fat-burning, blood-sugar lowering, cancer-fighting, inflammation-reducing home remedy. Plus it is cheap, easily accessible and simple to take. Personally, I think the stuff tastes nasty, despite all the recommendations to sweeten with honey, or add cinnamon, […]
How many of you are familiar with the need to have something now? Maybe it’s fulfilling that craving for your favourite donut or your wish to loose 10 pounds NOW. Do you often wish you could be fit now, eat healthy now, get clear skin now, be overall healthier today – without all the work? Probably! Unfortunately, those things take time and effort…and consistent time and effort.
Unfortunately, our culture has created an expectation that immediacy or getting what you want NOW is good. And not only is it good but it is possible! We have created a culture that is intimate with immediacy and not with hard work, discipline or long-term commitment. When applied to health and fitness however, immediacy is not only unrealistic, but it is also impossible. The thing is, health and fitness is a long-term investment with a long-term payoff.
That being said, I don’t want you to feel discouraged. There are some ideas that will produce results NOW from choices you make today with the added benefit of long-term health and wellness. I believe with these 5 simple lifestyle changes you can choose health now with the expectation of immediate results and longer-term rewards!
- Get off the couch! Being active not only reduces your risk of many diseases and health problems in the long-term but it will improve your mood, flexibility, and energy today! Aim to be active (walking is fine!) for a minimum of 20 minutes every day.
- Reduce your sugar intake. I’m sure that you have heard enough about how bad sugar is for you. Cutting sugar completely out of your diet is difficult and has an abundance of long-term rewards. But my challenge to you is to start reducing your sugar intake (e.g. instead of 2 cookies have 1; or reduce sugar in your tea/coffee by a teaspoon; have 1 glass of wine instead of 2). Another option is to choose healthier sweetening options like dates, figs, coconut sugar, or raw unpasteurized honey (and no, that does not mean you can have more because it is still sugar!). Reducing sugar reduces inflammation and can increase your focus, energy and concentration because you are less like to have those blood sugar lows.
- Drink more water. Most of us are deficient in water. Since our bodies are largely made up of water this has a MASSIVE impact on your focus, concentration, flexibility and joint health. Make sure you are replacing each cup of coffee or alcohol you have with at least an equal amount of water and if you are exercising remember you also need more to replace what you sweat out. To make water a bit more interesting try adding in some lemon or lime juice! Besides replacing those things aim for 8 glasses (of 8oz.) a day.
- Change the way you think about food. Positive thinking actually works! Instead of telling yourself I shouldn’t or can’t eat that start telling yourself that you are able to choose this (healthy) thing instead. When you tell yourself that you are can have that thing but are choosing something different you will find yourself less likely to crave that something later – I mean, who doesn’t find themselves wanting that thing you are saying no to! When you think differently about food you would be surprised how quickly you can say no to unhealthy options or that extra serving and actually empower yourself!
- Laugh more. Laughter has been shown to improve mood, increase oxygen to your brain, reduce stress, boost immunity and more! Obviously laughter makes you feel good immediately – and because it reduces stress and boosts your immune system the benefits just keep on going! Hit up a comedy show, watch a funny movie, or hang out with friends who make you laugh. Check out some more benefits of laughter here: http://www.idoinspire.com/blog/bid/42141/Wellness-Benefits-of-Laughter-Physical-Mental-Social
It’s time to rewire the way you think about your health and body and choose to be intimate with long-term reward, discipline and hard work. I’m not saying this will be easy…but it will be worth it! Try adding these 5 things into your daily life and you will be surprised at the benefit you receive today.
For more info:
Psychology of food and eating: http://psychologyofeating.com/mind-over-food/ https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cravings/200906/change-your-food-attitude