Have you ever heard of homeopathy? Maybe you have heard of it but you don’t have any idea what it is. Or maybe you wonder if it’s the same thing as naturopathy? Or maybe it brings to mind words like: placebo, sugar pellets, bogus medicine or witchcraft. These are but a few of the responses when I get questions about what I do. And honestly, it doesn’t help that the media, most health care professionals and even alternative health care professionals don’t know what this medicine is or how it works.
I never thought that I would end up in a field as controversial as homeopathy – especially after studying and practicing in a well-established profession (nursing)…but I did. And I am happy about it! Why? Because it works! To me, nothing sells like success! And I like to see people get better!
I’d like to address 5 MISCONCEPTIONS about homeopathy today. There is way to much to tell you about homeopathy in one article – you’ll just have to wait for my future ones!
- Homeopathic medicines are not safe. Homeopathic remedies are very safe medicines! In fact, I cannot think of anything safer – because the ingredients in the remedy are so diluted it is actually impossible for it to harm anyone. You would have to take A LOT of a single remedy (think bottles and bottles and bottles…) to even come to a place where you could even get a noticeable amount of the substance. Pharmaceutical drugs are much more potent and unsafe. In fact, adverse drug effects and deaths from pharmaceutical drugs are in the tens of thousands each year.
- Homeopathy is not evidenced based. I’m sorry…but this is clearly an unfair statement. Health outcomes after using homeopathic medicines appropriately are incredible (when accurately prescribed by a homeopath in the right potency)! To me, evidenced-based medicine is medicine that actually brings about results – I have seen blood levels change, skin diseases clear up, test results change from abnormal to normal and much more! There have been MANY studies that have shown positive health outcomes after using homeopathy. One place where you see very positive health outcomes (especially when compared to mainstream medicine) is in epidemics.* If we are talking about evidenced-based medicine with regards to scientific evidence about how homeopathy works at a scientific level that is another question.
- Homeopathy is placebo effect. Truth be told, placebo effects are present in every form of medicine, both mainstream and alternative. The way homeopathy works at a scientific level is still under some debate – but my belief about this incredibly powerful alternative is that I have never seen “placebos” work so well. When homeopathy is prescribed properly the results are incomparable to any other form of medicine I have ever seen. Just ask someone who has actually used homeopathy! I’d also like to point out that homeopathy has effects on babies and children and it actually affects them – and they would not know about placebo effect!
- Homeopathy is witchcraft. To me this just verifies that fact that this is a very misunderstood medicine. Homeopathy is not a religious idea or voodoo. It is a medicine that is over 200 years old in practice, developed by a highly educated doctor, who had an incredibly advanced understanding of medicines and the effects on the body and diseases that was way ahead of his time (Dr. Hahnemann).
- Homeopathy does not work. Homeopathy is a very difficult medicine to practice because it is an individualized medicine. What does that mean? Well, let me put it this way…if you do not get the right remedy, in the right potency and are not willing to wait for it to work…it won’t work! Every person requires a different remedy – unlike in mainstream medicine where migraines or sciatica or arthritis are treated with a limited number of specific drugs. Homeopathy requires a good understanding of a variety of personal variables (example: when do you experience your pain, what makes it better or worse, etc.) to select an appropriate remedy so that you get results! When you get the right remedy for the right person – the results can be beyond amazing! Again, talk to the thousands of individuals who have experienced the power and healing effects of homeopathy!
Honestly, I haven’t even begun to tap the surface of homeopathy, how it works, what it can do or why I love this medicine! I won’t deny it is a difficult thing to wrap your head around…but my world completely changed when I decided to allow homeopathy to speak for itself. Sometimes things in life don’t make sense or can’t easily be explained! That does not make them unworthy of consideration or use. Just take the time to look at how homeopathy has effected thousands of people over the last 200+ years!
If you are interested in reading more about homeopathy you can find some more info here or feel free to contact me: